Square Building, 524 Main Street
by First National Bank in 1913; it was named after the square on
which it fronts. Monument Square was first named on July 4, 1884
when the still existing Civil War monument was unveiled honoring
Civil War soldiers. Prior to that time it was known as Hay Market
First National Bank was originally organized in 1853 under the name
of Racine County Bank occupying a building on the northeast corner
of Main and 4th Street . In 1964 the bank was reorganized as First
national Bank, becoming the first bank in the country to be chartered
under the National Bank Act of 1863. It moved to Monument Square
Construction on the Monument Square building began in 1913 replacing
the old smaller building which was razed. The new 3 story building
featuring a granite front and large pillars extended through to
Wisconsin Avenue . Later, a 20 foot 2 story addition was erected
from the center of the south exposure to 6th Street which housed
the Trust Department.
In 1955, plans were announced for a new bank building (now Chase
Bank) at 500 Wisconsin Avenue which opened in 1958. The old First
national Bank building was purchased by Milton F. LaPour and William
Fergus who completed remodeling the structure into a multi-tenant
and office complex.
The building was purchased by J. Raymond Borgeson in 1991. Since
then, major heating, air conditioning and lighting changes have
been accomplished as well as extensive renovation.