Dennis Tully: A 236 mile motorcycle endurance run was held in Racine on July 4th 1914 that began and ended at Monument Square. Noted Racine businessman Guy Dixon was part of the organizing committee. This photo was taken just prior to the start of the run. This view is looking northerly on the west side of Monument Square. 5th Street is in the background. The building behind the motorcyclists was 500-502 Main St. which later became the location of Zahn’s Department Store. Charles Tolfson ran a pool hall and cigar store in the corner section and the American Express and National Express Co’s were at 502 Main. The Manufacturers Bank building across 5th St. is still there today. The prize list included cash and merchandise donated by local businesses. (Interesting prizes).