
Racine Journal-News, April 2, 1921
NEW ROMA HALL DEDICATED TODAY
Italian-American Association Now Housed in Fine $25,000 Structure Located on Mead Street; Have Big Program.
TALKS ARE GIVEN BY VISITORS FROM VARIOUS SECTIONS
Roma hall, headquarters for the Italian-American association, located at 2017 Mead street, was dedicated with impressive ceremonies this afternoon at 3 o’clock. The building, which has just been completed, is a commodious structure and replaces a smaller affair on the lot at 2013 Mead street, which the organization has used since its inception about four years ago. The hall represents an investment of $25,000, although the members of the association feel that had they not contracted for the structure three years ago when building material was cheaper, the cost would have been much greater.
The dedication of the hall today marked another step in the progress of the association. It started with a membership of seven and today 115 are enrolled. With the larger quarters the organization will now strive for a membership of from 400 to 500.
A special program was rendered this afternoon which started at 2 o’clock in the auditorium located on the upper floor of the hall. Previous to that hour a special car brought representatives from the Italian society in Kenosha together with the Italian band of 30 pieces from that city to assist in the celebration.
Band Provides Music.
At 1 o’clock the band was taken to the corner of High street and Douglas avenue to accompany to the hall the Italian residents residing in that part of the city. The band then journeyed to the headquarters of the Italian Benefit society further south on Mead street. Members of that organization paraded on several of the streets in Lakeside and wound up at Roma hall to participate in the festivities.
Several addresses were included in the program, those participating being President Antonio Pagliaro of the association, Italian Counsel Angelo Cerminara, of Milwaukee; the Rev. Peter Enrietto, pastor of Sacred Heart church on Northwestern avenue; Tony Wells, representing the Italian Benefit society; Gregoria Glanta, John Lieglar, Chief Baker, Sheriff James Mayor Armstrong and Mayor Joachim, of Kenosha. The band rendered a concert and following the program dancing was enjoyed. A notable feature of the afternoon was the dedication of the standard of the organization by the Rev. Enrietto for which the god father was Mayor Armstrong and the god mother was Miss Louise Demarco.
Officers of Association.
The officers of the organization are: President, Antonio Pagliaro; vice president, Joe Salerno; secretary-treasurer, Emil Salerno; directors, B. Testa, Francisco Valnta and Francisco Basile. These officers are the charter members of the association. The objects of the association are to provide sick and death benefits for the members, recreation and social features. As the association progresses, it contemplates securing an instructor to teach its members the principles and laws of this country with the object in view of making them good American citizens.
The building is of white brick and stone. The upper floor is devoted to an auditorium with a seating capacity, including a gallery, of 400. A stage occupies the eastern end of the hall. It is 16 feet wide and 10 feet deep. Scenery is now being completed for it at a cost of $500. The basement contains the president’s office, a library and card room, a refreshment room and kitchen. Bath rooms are now being completed. The length of the entire structure is 74 feet and it is 32 feet wide.
Stock Company Organized.
Members of the association purchased stock at $10 per share and with the money thus obtained the building was constructed. It was obligatory for each one on joining the organization to subscribe for one or more shares, but now that the entire cost has been met this obligation has been removed and Italian men may unite with the association on payment of the fee and 50 cents per month dues.
Early this morning workmen completed the task of decorating the auditorium for the dedication. United States flags with those of Italy were used in great profusion and streamers were also used to good advantage. The sidewalls of the auditorium have been artistically finished with permanent decorations of reproductions of famous Italian paintings and portraits of celebrated Italian men.




![Racine Journal-News, June 8, 1925. Two Fire Calls. [Editor: oddly, this is the only entry for Roma hall in 1925.]
The fire department made two runs today. The first was in the middle of the forenoon when it extinguished a fire in a pile of paper and other refuse in the rear of Roma hall, 2017 Mead street. An old ice box standing close to the blaze was destroyed.](https://www.vindustries.com/racinehistory/wp-content/uploads/2026/07/The_Journal_Times_1925_06_08_4-two-fire-calls-1024x511.jpg)













